Sunday, February 1, 2009

Pictures: "The Big Quilt"


So this is the quilt I made for my husband's boss. It was a huge labor of love from me to him as well as from our family to her. She went out on a limb hiring him to be the "care taker" for her son, paying him well to manage him home and in many ways his life. She is a remarkable woman who we are blessed to have in our lives.

The fabric for this quilt is from the "City Girl" collection by Kitty Yoshida for Benartex. She lives in cute little house over looking the Hudson River so I wanted this to be for lazy afternoons reading on the deck or late nights watching movies. The colors in this fabric spoke to me, reminding me of her house, which is painted a warm lightish blue. In all the magazines these days you see amazing square block quilts. This pattern, called "Squares N Squares", came from a small company, Meme's Quilts. I kept the basic measurements for the squares but did not to the applique on the boarder. For the backing, I used 12 inch squares.

The quilting was an unexpected gift from Coleen @ Quilters Crossing. She offered to put it on the Handi Quilter and quilt it for me. Such an amazingly simple thing for her but for me a HUGE relief! I was not sure how I was going to quilt this big quilt on my little machine.


So here it is, in all it's glory. I was so proud to learn it was resting on the foot of her bed. Does it get any better?




No comments: